Monday 11 January 2016

Image workshop 2


In preparation for this workshop we had to create two or more further paintings in response to last weeks workshop.



This piece was a crop taken front a distorted photocopy of a face I had created for some previous work. It's not hugely obvious but the eye is actually upside down, this is how it was in the original image where the photocopier had distorted it. For this piece I used acrylic, but still tried to create the movement with the brush strokes. 




As our workshop extension, I created a response to the work for the exhibition in which I was collaborating with Elle.





Image that went viral. New Year's Eve in Manchester(?). Referred to as a modern Renaissance painting. Michelangelo. Split the picture into 9 sections (one for each student) then had to randomly pick a section and paint onto a small postcard sized piece of primed board.





I started with acrylic and painted the base layer. I tried to use mainly greys and create movement and textures with the brush strokes. I then went back over as it was starting to dry with household gloss paint, using it to paint the windows and cars as once dry this will stay shiny and mimic the reflectiveness of the windows. 




Gerhard Richter image - inspiration 

Began by painting th background, using side to side brush strokes as Richter may have done



Once I was happy with the background I considered ways to apply the second layer of paint. Could leave it to dry and apply over the top using a squeegee then would get a clear difference of layers, or could wait until it's almost dry and use the same technique this would begin to merge and distort the layers. I decided to pour the paint onto the image and allow it to drip and merge.





I created this piece in direct response to Richter's work. I experimented using acrylic and gloss together. However, the final outcome was not so good as the masking tape didn't create a clean line as the gloss paint was too thick. 












No comments:

Post a Comment