Wednesday 7 October 2015

Drawing Workshop: automatic

Open for own interpretations
Automatic writing - drawing
Pure psychic automatism
Andre Breton Secrets of the Magical surrealist art: conecntration, passive or receptive state of mind, forget genius, talents and talents of everyone else. Draw quickly, without any preconcieved subject. cooncious crying out to be heard. as literally or as playfully as you wish. apparently random marks made by non art materials
Freud's idea of dreams, desires, fears. 
Secret unconcious resevoir or dialogue between concious and uncooncious
Extending the drawing after the session: share images with the group, analytical readings (of one anothers), collective automatic drawing
Chaplin brothers - exquisite corpse
Like a form of meditation. We know what day date time it is - forget all unnecessary information 
digital age - so distracted and influenced. pull you back into the here and now. when you're asleep, when your brain is trying to process 

We started by getting our equipment and getting into our own space and then just started.

This was my first piece, I began by just scribbling as I had no idea how to start as I got into the rhythm of it and deeper into blocking out the noise my scribbles took shape and were more free flowing. After I finished the page I took a photo of it and went back over it where I could pick out words or letters. This became more difficult than I thought as few words were coming out. The idea of this was to either find words I had subconsciously written in my scribbles and/or to find words that forced themselves out of the scribbles that were in my subconscious mind while looking at the work. 

Couldn't find many words. Weird considering the scribbles look more like letters than my first piece.



I then tried to just start writing. Real words and sentences. I began by just writing writing over and over again as again, I did not know how to start, I thought if I just start writing it'll come to me. I do not understand what I have written it is not anything I have thought in my concious mind, I am very confused and I do not enjoy reading it back. 

Did not enjoy the writing however did enjoy the idea of getting into a state of mind where I am fully relaxed and almost work from the subconscious. Will try at home with drawing/painting.
Try at home listening to music, on my own no distractions, quiet, home alone. Really difficult when people around you and making noises.

Talk afterwards debrief: 
Layering - concious moments and unconcious moments 
Colours important in work and life 
Kyle: Illustrations within the words - illegible but was writing
Spur ways to approach things - link to what I'm investigating?
      : Usually Manipulate people's work - interesting to use my own words but not really knowing what I'm writing. Relationship between appropriation and own text
Victoria: always but not known been working with the subconscious. Colours reflect mood. About texture and colour 
Agnes Martin Tate 
Interested in freedoms this task was sort of freedom of myself. Usually work with stitching but liked using pastels
Patterns between text and drawing 
Helpful to development and practice 



No comments:

Post a Comment